A non-governmental organization (NGO) is any non-profit, voluntary citizens’ group which is organized on a local, national or international level. Task-oriented and driven by people with a common interest, NGOs perform a variety of service and humanitarian functions, bring citizen concerns to Governments, advocate and monitor policies and encourage political particpation through provision of information. Some are organized around specific issues, such as human rights, environment or health. They provide analysis and expertise, serve as early warning mechanisms and help monitor and implement international agreements. Their relationship with offices and agencies of the United Nations system differs depending on their goals, their venue and the mandate of a particular institution.
With the above definition in mind, you might want to start one according to your causes. So here are the procedures required inorder to start one, you need;
REQUIREMENTS FOR REGISTERING AN NGO
1. A letter addressed to the Executive Director requesting for registration.
2. Duly filled FORM 3 (three copies) in original Forms.
3. Duly filled Addendum to Form 3(two copies) providing specific information on their physical address and contact details.
4. Duly filled FORM 1 (one copy stating organization’s contact person).
5. Two (2) recent colored passport sized photographs of top three (3) officials with the names of the official and organization written at the back.
6. Photocopy of ID card/passports for the three (3) top officials.
7. Copy of Name Reservation FORM 2 duly approved and paid for.
8. Three (3) Copies of the proposed NGOs Constitution-signed by three top officials and one official on all the pages. A sample of constitution format can be viewed HERE
9. A Copy of minutes authorizing the filing of applications. The minutes should specifically resolve to register as an NGO.
10. Processing fees Kenya shillings Eleven Thousand (KES 11,000) for NGOs that are national in scope and Kenya Shillings Twenty Two Thousand (KES 22,000) for NGOs that are international in scope. In instances where the applicants have downloaded application forms from the NGOB website, they will be required to pay the requisite fee of Kenya Shillings Two Hundred (KES 200). Where a name reservation has not been paid for, the fee of KES 500 will be applicable.
11. Proposed one-year budget of the applicant organization.
12. All applications shall be typed or filled in block letters.
13. All signatures must be in original form. Scanned and/photocopied signatures will not be accepted.
REQUIREMENTS FOR NAME RESERVATION
1. Filling of FORM 2 and payment of Kshs.500/- being processing fee.
2. Submission of Form to the Registry for conducting the search.
3. Conducting of search and recommendation for reservation by the Registry.
4. Submission of reserved name to the Programmes Manager for approval.
REQUIREMENTS FOR CHANGE OF NAME
1. Formal application addressed to the Executive Director seeking for consent.
2. Application should state the proposed name and give reasons for the Change of Name.
3. Duly signed minutes of the meeting proposing the Change of name of the NGO.
4. Copy of advertisement in the local dailies informing the general public of the proposed Change of name.
5. Processing fee depending on the status of your Organization (Kshs.10,000/- or 20,000/-).
REQUIREMENTS FOR AMENDING THE CONSTITUTION
1. Formal application addressed to the Executive Director seeking for consent and signed by the three registered Officials of the organizations.
2. Copy of the minutes of the meeting authorizing the amendments to the Constitution clearly giving reasons for the amendment.
3. Copy of Constitution with highlighted sections to be amended.
4. KES 2,000/- processing fee.
REQUIREMENTS FOR CHANGING OFFICIALS
1. Submit a copy of minutes authorizing the change of office bearers signed by both outgoing and incoming officials within 14 days after the meetingis held persuanr to regulation 21.
2. Duly filled FORM 13 signed by both outgoing and incoming official(s)
3. FORM 3 filled and signed by incoming official(s).
4. 2 passport size photographs of the incoming official(s).
5. A copy of ID/passport of the incoming official(s).
6. In case of change of office bearer due to death, there should be a copy of the death certificate/affidavit from the local administration.
7. Processing fee of KES 2,000/=
8. Outgoing officials to be informed of the changes.
Source: NGO Co-ordination Board