Kenyan banks are offering scholarships to students who come from humble backgrounds. Some of these scholarships can fund your secondary education or your undergraduate or even your postgraduates degree.
1. Equity Wings To Fly Scholarship:
The Wings To Fly Scholarship program is a partnership between Equity Group-(EG) and Mastercard Foundation(MF). This program is under the Equity Group Foundation and was formed to support children from humble backgrounds to get an education.
With the help of other partners, this scholarship initiative provides previously marginalized people in all counties with access to leadership.
During their four-year secondary education, the scholars are provided with extensive support, including tuition, housing, books, uniforms, shopping, pocket money, and transportation to and from school.
The program has helped 26,304 bright but financially disadvantaged students.
MCF has committed to supporting 10,000 scholars across two waves of funding, with the last intake joining the program in 2021.
Requirements For Equity Wings To Fly Scholarship.
- You must be in the top 5th percentile of your sub-county.
- Kenyan Citizen,
- You must be from a family that is below the poverty line.
- Provide your result slip for verification.
How To Apply To Wings To Fly Scholarship.
- Visit the Equity bank website to check whether the Wings To Fly program application phase is open
- Proceed and input a valid email address to begin the registration process.
- Confirm using the activation code that was emailed to you.
- Fill out your personal information, such as your name, date of birth, gender, phone number, current location, parents’ names, contact numbers, occupation, marital status, religion, ethnicity, nationality, passport/visa information (if applicable), and the reason you want this scholarship.
- Download and fill in the declaration and recommendation forms or obtain them from the nearby Equity branch or agent.
2. Family Bank (Family Group Foundation).
Family Group Foundation has another scholarship program that helps fund secondary school education for deserving students.
This year, the program plans to help more than 100 students from 11 counties, namely: Bungoma, Kiambu, Makueni, Nyeri, UasinGishu, Nakuru, Meru, Kajiado, Murang’a, Mombasa and Kisumu.
The scholarship covers the beneficiaries’ tuition and living expenses.
How To Apply.
You can apply for this scholarship by acquiring the application form from the nearest Family Bank Branch or through the Family Group’s website.
3. Co-operative Bank(Coop Bank Foundation).
Cooperative Bank is another bank offering Scholarships to needy students. The Foundation has two types of scholarships; high school scholarship and university scholarship.
High school scholarship.
The Bank, through their Co-operative Bank Foundation, launched this scholarship in 2007and has supported 6,825 to date. In 2020, the Foundation awarded 655 scholarships to students joining secondary schools.
This scholarship caters for tuition fees, uniforms and books.
Through this scholarship, Co-op Bank gives scholarships to the top-performing KCSE candidates from each region.
Co-operative Bank Scholarship Requirements.
- Copy of your result slip.
- Copy of your birth certificate.
- Copy of form one admission letter and the fees structure.
- Additional documents like a copy of the death certificate, payslips etc., may aid the process.
Co-op Bank Foundation High School Scholarship Eligibility Criteria.
-Students must have achieved 350 marks in KCPE.
-Students must come from a humble background, unable to meet secondary school fees.
-Atleast one person should be a member of a Cooperative Society.
This scholarship sponsors both private and public secondary school education.
Co-operative Bank Foundation Scholarship Application.
You can access the application from your nearest Co-operative Bank Branch or any C-operative Bank Agent or download the form here.
4. ABSA Partnership With HELB Sponsorship.
ABSA Bank Kenya partnered with Higher Education Loans Board-Helb), and together they have a program that sponsors bright and needy university students.
This sponsorship provides students with tuition and accommodation fees, laptop purchase and money for upkeep which amounts to 150,000kes.
This scholarship primarily sponsors orphan students or students from single-parent households.
The funds are split by half between both genders, and 4 per cent of the beneficiaries must be persons living with disabilities. The beneficiaries are selected from all the 47 counties in the Country.
However, this scholarship sponsors 20 students every year for a complete scholarship program until completion of the course.
N/B: Only government-sponsored students are eligible.
How To Apply.
Register on the Helb website
Proceed to apply via the Apply button.
You can also use the Helb Mobile App or use the USSD *426# via your phone.
5. I&M Partnership With Strathmore.
I & M Bank partnered with Strathmore University through I&M Bank’s Foundation to offer sponsorship to bright needy students who gain admission to undergraduate programs like Law, Actuarial Science, Financial Engineering, Commerce, Financial Economics, Informatics and Communication and Computer Science.
This scholarship benefits students who attain B+ in KCSE and get admission to Strathmore University.
The scholarship fund covers tuition and accommodation fees and totals over 29 Million.
After the scholarship, the Foundation offers an internship at the Bank through the Management Trainee program. The Bank’s staff also provides mentorship to the beneficiaries.
How To Apply.
- First, apply for financial aid support; please click here.
- Make sure you meet all of the requirements for the financial aid you want to apply for.
- Attach any required documents, such as the KCSE certificate and the Letter of Admission from Strathmore University.
- Attach a copy of the completed Helb Application Form if you are a continuing student.
- Wait for an update on the outcome of your financial aid application. You will be sent a cover letter to complete and return by the deadline if you are chosen.
- Financial aid will be credited to your student account if you have satisfied all your financial aid requirements.
- Every semester, you must register for all of the units you will be taking and fill out a registration form.
Share your thoughts