Motor vehicle insurance is a legal requirement involving the purchase of a type of insurance which offers protection against fraud related risks to a vehicle owner prior to the vehicle being deployed on Kenyan roads.
Types Of Motor Vehicle Insurance Policies In Kenya
Possessing a motor vehicle insurance generally involves displaying the details of an insurance certificate whereby it can be immediately accessible such as on the windscreen of vehicles. In Kenya, there are three major types of motor insurance classes. These include:
- Third party only: this is the least and the cheapest type of insurance which only covers liabilities to 3rd parties i.e losses caused by the insured vehicle to other people’s property or lives.
- Fire and theft: this type of insurance covers against losses incurred either through fire or theft of motor vehicles. It also covers 3rd parties only.
- Comprehensive: this type of insurance covers for both the above as well as losses related to accidents such as repair costs and write offs.
How To Buy Motor Vehicle Insurance Online In Kenya
Basically, there are two methods with which motor vehicle owners in Kenya can buy motor vehicle insurance cover. They include:
- Direct: involves purchasing the insurance cover from any of the authorized insurance companies offering motor insurance cover.
- Indirect: involves buying through licensed intermediaries such as insurance agents and brokers.
In each of the above instances, there is a slight benefit over the other whereby direct purchases minimize the risk of brokers not remitting funds to the insurance companies while indirect purchases provide access to a variety of options.
How To Choose The Right Motor Vehicle Insurance In Kenya
Before settling on a motor cover policy, due diligence is required so as to find the best fit for one’s needs in terms of affordability and convenience. Below are considerations to put into effect when searching for the right cover.
- Personal research: this requires personal groundwork and investigation regarding the various companies’ nature of business, performance over time, claims payment etc
- Cost benefit analysis: this typically involves comparing a company’s pricing in relation to its services/policies.
Process Of Buying Motor Vehicle Insurance In Kenya
Prior to getting a motor cover policy once you have settled on a company of your choice, you are required to complete the below processes.
- Fill in a proposal form. A proposal form is basically a contract between the insured and insurance company detailing the particulars of the buyer as well as vehicle details.
- Submit KYC documentation: KYC also referred to as ‘Know Your Customer’ is used for verification purposes which involves submission of a copy of national ID, KRA Pin and log books for individuals while for corporate, a copy of incorporation certificate is required.
- Making of payment.
- Issuance of cover: Once the application for a particular cover is finalized, you will receive an email containing your certificate which you are required to print, cut and stick on the vehicle’s windscreen.
How To Claim Motor Vehicle Insurance In Kenya
Motor vehicle claims are usually governed by the terms within the policy document which is accessible after purchasing a particular cover. The document contains details of the cover such as what is covered and not covered, limits of the cover etc
Once a loss occurs such as an accident, you are required to inform your insurance company and immediately report to the nearest police station or traffic officer present at the scene.
When reporting to the insurance company, you need to fill in a claim form and attach copies of the driving license and ID of the driver who was driving at the time of accident and also attach a copy of the police abstract.
It is highly advisable to take photos of the scene of the accident and include them in your attachment to the insurance company for faster claims processing.
List Of Best Motor Vehicle Insurance Companies In Kenya
Below are the list of licensed insurance companies authorized to transact motor insurance business in Kenya for the year 2021
|AAR Insurance Company Ltd||Real Towers, Ground Floor, Hospital Rd, Upper Hill
P.O. Box 41766-00100
Tel: +254 020 2895000
Cell: +254 703 063000/ +254 703 06300
|Africa Merchant Assurance Company Ltd||Branch : NEXTGEN MALL, 4th Floor
SMS Shortcode 40033
Phone: 020 220 4000
|AIG Kenya Insurance Company Ltd||Eden Square Complex,
P.O. Box 49460, 00100
|Allianz Insurance Company of Kenya Ltd||Allianz Plaza, 96 Riverside Drive
P.O. Box 66257-00800 Nairobi
Sales: +254 709 566 000
Enquiries: +254 709 566 000
|APA Insurance Ltd||Apollo Centre, Ring Rd Parklands
Westlands Nairobi – Kenya.
Tel: (O20) 286 2000, (020) 364 1000
Phone: (+254) 0709 912 777,
|Britam General Insurance Company (K) Ltd||Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Email:info@Britam.comTel:0705 100 100
|CIC General Insurance Ltd||CIC Plaza Mara Road, Upperhill
P.O. Box 59485-00200 Nairobi, Kenya
Tel: +254 020 282 3000 / 0703 099 120
|Corporate Insurance Company Ltd|
|Directline Assurance Company Ltd|| Hazina Towers, 17th Floor, Monrovia Street
P.O. Box 40863 Nairobi, GPO 00100 Kenya
Tel: 020 3250000 / 0711 030000 / 0730 130000
|Fidelity Shield Insurance Company Ltd||Address: Fidelity Insurance Centre, 5th Floor, Waridi Lane, Off Waiyaki Way, Westlands.
P.O.Box 47435, 00100 Nairobi, GPO Kenya.
Telephone (Main): +254 (0) 20 4225 000;(0)709 988 000
Telephone (Other):(0)733 620 001
|First Assurance Company Ltd||First Assurance House,
Gitanga Road, Lavington
Tel: 0722 444 117/ 0733 605 480
|GA Insurance Ltd||Address: 4th Floor, GA Insurance House
Ralph Bunche Road, Nairobi
Postal Address: P.O. Box 42166 – 00100, Nairobi
Phone: 0709 626 000
|Geminia Insurance Company Ltd||Le’Mac, 5th Floor
Church Road, Off Waiyaki Way
P.O. Box 61316-00200 Nairobi
Tel: +254 20 278 2000
Fax: +254 20 278 2100
firstname.lastname@example.org | email@example.com
|ICEA LION General Insurance Company Ltd|
|Intra Africa Assurance Company Ltd|
|Invesco Assurance Company Ltd|
|Jubilee Allianz General Insurance (K) Ltd|
|Kenindia Assurance Company Ltd|
|Kenya Orient Insurance Ltd|
|Madison General Insurance Kenya Ltd|
|Mayfair Insurance Company Ltd|
|Metropolitan Cannon General Insurance|
|MUA Insurance ( Kenya) Ltd|
|Occidental Insurance Company Ltd|
|Pacis Insurance Company Ltd|
|Pioneer General Insurance Ltd|
|Resolution Insurance Company Ltd|
|Sanlam General Insurance Company Ltd|
|Takaful Insurance of Africa Ltd|
|Tausi Assurance Company Ltd|
|The Heritage Insurance Company Ltd|
|The Kenyan Alliance Insurance Company Ltd|
|The Monarch Insurance Company Ltd|
|Trident Insurance Company Ltd|
|UAP Insurance Company Ltd|
|Xplico Insurance Company Ltd||Park Place, 2nd Avenue, 5th Floor,
Parklands, Off Limuru Road
P.O.Box 38106-00623, Nairobi, Kenya.
Telephone : +254700111999
Mobile Number: +254700111999