PayPal is a universal digital payment platform used for online transactions such as sending/receiving money as well as transacting business in multiple currencies.
It is mostly used by online merchants as well as digital entrepreneurs who make a living online.
Despite it’s availability in more than 200 countries and regions, there are some countries that are restricted from using the PayPal service for one reason or another.
Luckily, Kenya is among the countries that PayPal supports and as such, it is the avenue with which many bloggers and digital creators use to receive income from their content.
While initially the only mode of linking with PayPal was through a bank account, now it is much easier through the use of the Mpesa service.
Mpesa is a mobile money transfer service that is widely used in Kenya and also adopted globally.
If you have a PayPal account and need to link it with Mpesa, kindly follow the below steps.
1. Navigate to the PayPal Mobile Money website and click on ‘Get Started‘ tab.
2. A pop -up window will require your details to log into your PayPal account.
Once logged into your PayPal account, the TransferTo service will require you to grant access to some of your information.
If you accept to this, click on Agree whereby you will be required to confirm your email address.
Login once again using your PayPal details and register by entering your Mpesa mobile number.
You will receive a confirmation code via SMS which you will use to finalize the registration process.
3. Once logged in, you will be directed to a page with the options of either to Withdraw from PayPal or Top Up to PayPal.
4. If you need to top up, click on Top up to PayPal whereby you will be directed to the Top up conversion rate page. ( PayPal balances are in USD, hence you need to find out the equivalent KES amount to top up )
Once the KES amount has been calculated, Go to your Mpesa toolkit menu, Select Lipa Na Mpesa then Paybill and enter 800088 as business number and your phone number as the account number.
5. If you need to withdraw, click on Withdraw from PayPal and enter the amount you wish to withdraw. ( Note that the amount should not be more than the available PayPal balance )