If you are reading this, you probably have passed the initial painstaking process of sending out your CV to potential employers and have finally received feedback for an interview.
Lol, Am i right?
Congratulations! However, you are not out of the woodwork yet. The next phase is equally difficult and if you do not play your cards right, you might lose the opportunity of a lifetime in securing that dream job.
Interviews are important stages during recruitment as it helps scale down any large number of applicants as well as provide an opportunity for individual assessment by the recruiter.
Interviews consist of a set of questions specifically tailored towards the job position being interviewed and majorly also include common general questions that may seem simple at first but could lead to one’s elimination.
One such common question you are likely to encounter in any job interview is “Tell us about yourself”
To effectively answer this question, please read on.
- Do not give out too much irrelevant personal information.
- Your response should not take more than 2-3 minutes.
Your main focus points should be:
- Highest educational level background
- Relevant work experience ( tailor your responses to match the job descriptions required by the employer in the job advertisement)
- (Optional but could earn you major points) Lastly you can conclude with a unique statement about what sparked your interest with the position. ( location, additional responsibilities, size of company leading to exposure etc )
With the above tips in mind, let us look at a sample job description/requirements of a customer service representative.
Sample Customer Service Job Description
Recommend potential products or services to management by collecting customer information and analyzing customer needs
Prepare product or service reports by collecting and analyzing customer information.
- Keep database records of all customer contacts.
- Compile feedback/complaints in report form and share with marketing manager.
- Receive customer requests, attend to daily customer complaints and follow up to ensure feedback is given and action taken as soon as possible.
With the above job description of the interviewed position, you can use it to your advantage and tailor your work experience to match it.
Lets look at a sample response below on how to effectively answer the above question.
My name is James Doe, I am 32 years old. I schooled at Being Different University where i got a degree in Customer Service and i also have a Certificate in Computer Packages.
For the last 2 years, i have been a Customer Service Representative at Prime Ventures company whereby i was responsible for engaging customers via phone/email to receive their requests as well as complaints if any.
For each interaction with the customer, i would keep a record of the customer’s contacts as well as their feedback and generate a weekly excel sheet report that i would share with my supervisor.
Also with this position, i can see there are some added responsibilities which i feel would create a perfect platform for me to further hone my professional skills in customer service.